The 2.17 series release notes contain important changes in this release series.
- SAML Authentication requests and Metadata were not strictly encoded, causing some Identity Providers to not correctly process Service Provider initiated Authentication requests.
- When using GitHub Connect, the GHES license sync process sent information that was not required.
ghe-migrator exports did not contain milestone users, which could break import operations.
Upcoming deprecation of GitHub Enterprise Server 2.17
GitHub Enterprise Server 2.17 will be deprecated as of May 23, 2020 That means that no patch releases will be made, even for critical security issues, after this date. For better performance, improved security, and new features, upgrade to the newest version of GitHub Enterprise Server as soon as possible.
- On a freshly set up GitHub Enterprise Server without any users, an attacker could create the first admin user.
- Custom firewall rules aren't maintained during an upgrade.
- Subversion (SVN) checkout may timeout while the repository data cache is being built. In most cases, subsequent svn checkout attempts will succeed.
- Git LFS tracked files uploaded through the web interface are incorrectly added directly to the repository.
- Issues cannot be closed if they contain a permalink to a blob in the same repository where the file path is longer than 255 characters.
- Lines in gists are not selectable.
- When "Users can search GitHub.com" is enabled with GitHub Connect, issues in private and internal repositories are not included in GitHub.com search results.
The GitHub Team