The 2.8 series release notes contain important changes in this release series.
Upcoming deprecation of GitHub Enterprise 2.8
GitHub Enterprise 2.8 will be deprecated as of November 9, 2017. That means that no patch releases will be made, even for critical security issues, after this date. For better performance, improved security, and new features, upgrade to the newest version of GitHub Enterprise as soon as possible.
- LOW: The TLS cipher list did not include ciphers that offer forward secrecy for legacy browsers.
- Packages have been updated to the latest security versions.
ghe-repl-status-pages showed a critical status if run while a sync is in progress.
- The Management Console password could not be reset using
ghe-set-password when the appliance is in recovery mode.
ghe-diagnostics could output
Connection refused line items when Redis, Memcached, or Elasticsearch services aren't running.
- Background job errors could cause Redis to consume large amounts of memory.
- We incorrectly redirect to the dashboard if you accessed GitHub Enterprise using an alias while in private mode. This might happen if you set a fully qualified domain name but the subdomain resolves correctly.
- Images uploaded to issues save with an absolute URL, so they can be broken if the hostname changes.
- On a freshly set up GitHub Enterprise without any users, an attacker could create the first admin user.
- Custom firewall rules aren't maintained during an upgrade.
- Enqueued background jobs are sometimes not purged when a repository is deleted.
svn checkout may timeout while the repository data cache is being built. In most cases, subsequent
svn checkout attempts will succeed.
- Git LFS tracked files uploaded through the web interface are incorrectly added directly to the repository.
- GitHub Enterprise clustering can not be configured without https.
- Deleting a search index doesn't delete all associated metadata, which are then incorrectly reused if a new search index is created. This causes search index repair jobs to be reported as finished in the site admin when they were not.
- After changing the visibility of a repository, wiki search results have a conflicting number of displayed search results. Administrators can reindex the wiki through the site admin dashboard. (updated 2017-11-09)
The GitHub Team