The 2.9 series release notes contain important changes in this release series.
Note about Git LFS v2.1.1
A CRITICAL security fix for the Git LFS client was released on 19 May. The remote code execution vulnerability can be exploited if:
This vulnerability exists in the Git LFS client and not GitHub Enterprise. However, we strongly encourage all users of GitHub Enterprise to upgrade their Git LFS client to v2.1.1 (or greater) from https://git-lfs.github.com/.
Please contact GitHub Enterprise Support if you have any questions.
Note: GitHub Enterprise supports broadcasting messages directly on the application with
ghe-announce and Creating a custom sign in message.
- This release and previous releases of GitHub Enterprise are not affected by the Git shell vulnerability announced 10 May 2017 (CVE-2017-8386).
- Packages have been updated to the latest security versions.
- Memcached could fail to start if another process claimed its port first.
- A high availability replica could fail to connect to the primary after upgrading.
- When LDAP Sync is enabled, only organization owners could search the LDAP directory for groups when creating a new team.
- With SAML authentication configured, and the IdP set to assert administrator status, the user promotion/demotion button on a user's Site Admin page was shown as disabled but was still clickable and useable.
- In a clustering environment,
ghe-cluster-status would use the configured proxy when querying each node.
- In a clustering environment, restoring a backup to a cluster not meeting the minimum recommended number of
storage-server nodes would fail.
- Pagination of a webhook's 'Recent Deliveries' was not enabled, limiting access to the last ten deliveries.
- High availability replication on 2.9.0-2.9.4 would not synchronize all Git data if the replica node has been offline for more than 90 minutes. Those failed synchronizations may not be reported by
ghe-repl-status. We strongly recommend upgrading to 2.9.5 or later before promoting a replica. (updated 2017-05-16)
- A high availability replica could report a warning that alambic replication is behind the primary because deleting objects such as release assets or avatars did not remove their corresponding database entries. (updated 2017-05-25)
- The GitHub Enterprise version is shown on the hypervisor welcome console.
- The SAML authentication logs no longer contain debug information by default. Debugging information can be enabled in the Admin Center.
- Organizations are sorted alphabetically when selecting repository owner when creating a new repository.
- In a clustering environment, a failure to retrieve a support bundle from a node is reported as an error. It was reported as a warning.
- GitHub Flavored Markdown, which is now compliant with CommonMark, is used to render repository markdown (e.g.
.md) files. (updated 2017-06-11)
- We incorrectly redirect to the dashboard if you accessed GitHub Enterprise using an alias while in private mode. This might happen if you set a fully qualified domain name but the subdomain resolves correctly.
- Images uploaded to issues save with an absolute URL, so they can be broken if the hostname changes.
- On a freshly set up GitHub Enterprise without any users, an attacker could create the first admin user.
- Custom firewall rules aren't maintained during an upgrade.
- Enqueued background jobs are sometimes not purged when a repository is deleted.
svn checkout may timeout while the repository data cache is being built. In most cases, subsequent
svn checkout attempts will succeed.
- Git LFS tracked files uploaded through the web interface are incorrectly added directly to the repository.
- GitHub Enterprise clustering can not be configured without https.
- Deleting a search index doesn't delete all associated metadata, which are then incorrectly reused if a new search index is created. This causes search index repair jobs to be reported as finished in the site admin when they were not.
- Deleting a repository containing files in LFS can cause the 'File storage' within the Site Admin to show a temporary 500 error.
- Graphs in the Management Console are displaying the sum instead of an average value. As a result, graphs may incorrectly show an increasing metric over time. (updated 2017-05-17)
- collectd metric paths can be truncated, which causes multiple write attempts to the same file for different metrics. (updated 2017-07-10)
- After changing the visibility of a repository, wiki search results have a conflicting number of displayed search results. Administrators can reindex the wiki through the site admin dashboard. (updated 2017-11-09)
- The create team API endpoint returns a 500 error if LDAP Sync is enabled and the team already exists. (updated 2018-01-09)
The GitHub Team